the Chester Archaeological Society. We exist to promote
understanding and appreciation of archaeology, history and
architecture in the historic county of Cheshire plus
neighbouring areas and of these subjects generally. Our
activities include monthly lectures from the Autumn to the
Spring, Summer excursions on demand, undertaking or
encouraging relevant research, campaigning on local heritage
issues, publication of an annual journal and a twice-yearly
newsletter, and maintenance of our own specialist
information, please read our History
and Activities page.
(left to right) Roman altar dedicated
to the Century of Aurelius Verinus, found along
Tarvin Road, Chester, in 1849; surveying at Claverton
in 2007; the 'Blue Bell' inn in Northgate Street, one of
Chester's oldest domestic buildings, saved by the Society
from demolition in 1929.
We are very sorry
to announce the death on Saturday 23 May
of our Vice-President and Past
Chairman, George Storey.
We extend our sympathy to his wife and family.
Saxon cross at Sandbach.
Watercolour painted in 1806 by Wm
Alexander (1769-1816). Formerly in the
Chester Archaeological Society Library,
now in the Grosvenor Museum, Chester.
The Archaeology under Threat from IS
Dayschool organised by the
Manchester Continuing Education Network
(MANCENT), Cross Street Unitarian Chapel,
Manchester M2 1NL,
Thursday 2 July, 12.00-16.00. GBP 30/25
St John's House Trust is inviting applications for
GBP 50 and GBP 6000 to support archaeological work
in and around
CAS Grant to Support the Study of Finds
Reported to the
Portable Antiquities Scheme in Cheshire
of the history
of the county
a grant of GBP
700 every two
See our Grants
page to learn
of the City Walls
you interested in working as a volunteer
during summer weekends to reopen the
towers on the City Walls to the public?
For more information see our Notices page.
©2015 Chester Archaeological Society. Registered
Last updated 26-06-2015